Integrated Close Combat Forum

A family oriented self defense, preparedness, survival, and basic first-aid forum.
It is currently 25 Jun 2017 03:44

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ICCF

Due to excessive spam, the administrator must approve all registrants, our apologies for the inconvenience.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Role of Intelligence in Your Preps
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 17:45 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 10 time
All too often we focus on food, guns, and other goodies when approaching the subject of preps.

Another vital issue is "intelligence" as in the sense of information. Information preparedness is just as important to your survival as any of the goodies we feel necessary to survive. You need to be able to "analyze the terrain". To know the Who, What When, Where, Why and How is one of the first steps you need to take.

Know the threats, strengths and weaknesses of the land you inhabit and the people and organizations operating within it.
Are you aware of the natural resources in your area, where they are located, what they can be used for, how they can help or hurt you? Who controls access to that salt spring down the way (something that lead to a small shooting war here). Likewise firewood, oil sulpher, gold you name it.
Are you aware of the major players in your area? Are there people in the area that need to be taken into account when setting up your preps? Criminals that are liable to become a threat, survival groups that may be advantageous to work with, power hungry folks that are already a problem in good times, law enforcement or other government officials that may be cooperative or that see you as a threat to their power?

For now just start thinking about it, I'll post more on specific subjects later on.

Post subject: Re: The Role of Intelligence in Your Preps
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 21:37 

Have thanks: 13 time
In addition to local intelligence, a small battery operated AM/FM radio and a multi-power Short Wave/Weather radio would be very beneficial for obtaining details of a situation.
Guantes has been thanked by:

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014 22:13 
Site Admin

Radios can and are a good source of Intel. They can be used in a systematic way to tell you a lot of things.
#1 you can listen to the "news" and glean information from it about what is going on. You can also listen to different versions of the same "news" and by adding together the different piees left out or added by different programs you can get a better understanding of what really happened.

#2 you can physically determine the conditions in a particular area by knowing what stations or agencies are not broadcasting that should be.
If the station 30 miles up the road drops off the air when you are in a tornado watch you might get the idea where a tornado was. Likewise if you hear different content on the station than you expect you might get the idea someone new is in control of that station.

The first thing to do when using a radio to gather information is to make a "radio map", a simple listing of the stations that can be heard from your home. It should be in two parts one for daytime and one for night, since the transmission characteristics and power are different between day and night. Just make a list of the stations you can hear on AM around noon on a given day. List the frequency, the call letters and the location of the transmitter and what programming you are hearing. Make another one for night time maybe on a night when the insomnia is kicking in at 1-2 AM. Do the same thing for FM.
if you hear 2 stations on the same frequency turn the radio a bit and try to get each one stronger one at a time and record both on your Radio map.
The Radio Map tells you what you should expect to be hearing at any given time, then when using it you should be sensitive to changes, that can tell you a lot.

NExt installment will be on listening to other kinds of radio.
Sam has been thanked by:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014 14:49 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 89 time
How the heck did I miss this thread? Excellent information gents and I certainly hope this discussion continues.

BTW, there also this board Mindset, Tactics, and Intelligence Dissemination, Plus Post Confrontation Issues and Procedures which deals with all types of intel, amongst other related topics. This is prepper specific and can best be seen and, therefore, utilized by being in this board.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014 22:10 
Site Admin

Move it there!

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014 23:05 

Have thanks: 16 time
That's why I will stay where I am instead of bugging out to somewhere I know of in the distant somewhere.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014 17:00 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 89 time
Bulletman, good point and I agree. The topic of "bugging out" has been beaten to death and, in most cases, bugging out is NOT the option for the majority to take. IMO, what's more important than bugging out is getting home, nonetheless, these topics are covered in other discussions here, such as To Bug Out Or Not To Bug Out... and I'd like not to change the direction of this thread as I think it's turning out to be a very interesting and informative one.

Getting back to the importance of gathering one's own intelligence, if I am understanding Sam correctly and in my own words, we must do the following:

1. Gain firsthand knowledge of the local terrain.
    1. Become familiar with streets, back roads, alleyways, paths, et cetera.
    2. Location of expressways and their on/off ramps in your area.
    3. Local, detailed, maps are helpful, i.e. township and county maps.
  2. Assess the people.
    1. How are they dressed.
    2. How are their buildings kept.
    3. How are their vehicles, old, new, well kept, rundown.
    4. Do many attend the local houses of worship?
    5. What is the crime like?
    6. How are the local authorities (politicians and law enforcement) towards the locals?
    7. Are there any “like minded” folks in the area?
  3. What natural resources are in your area?
    1. Water sources such as wells, lakes, ponds, rivers and streams, springs, retention ponds, et cetera.
    2. Fuel sources for cooking and heat i.e. wood.

Insofar as radio intel is concerned, are you speaking of a generic AM/FM portable radio or something specialized? Once it get's past a generic AM/FM portable radio I'm lost and frankly, I have no aptitude for electronic gizmos. If I can't plug it in, turn it on, and tune it in I don't want it.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014 22:20 
Site Admin

So far just your regular AM/FM tabletop machine.

You need to know that radio terrain, the character of the stations, their owners the on air folks.
Know it well enough to read between the lines, maybe even well enough to know when they are transmitting something they don't like.

Throw your radio on a Lazy Susan so it can be rotated easily. The ferrite rod antenna in these radios are fairly directional and you can rotate it to get best signal which happens when the rod is at 90 degrees to the transmitter, signal goes down as the end of the antenna gets pointed at the transmitter.

When you get 2 stations at the same time log them both on your "Radio Map", along with their locations. If you are listening and one goes off the air, you'll know something is happening and where.
Likewise if any station that should be there isn't, you know something happened.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014 22:45 
Site Admin

You all need to download this document
FM34-130
www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/FM%2034-130.pdf

Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield. There is a more current one but it is "Limited Distribution" right now.
Not enough difference to us right now. It is in MilSpeak and intended for someone with a 8th grade education from 20 years ago.
Don't get all hung up on the term "Threat", that is just any potential subject you might be studying.

After you download it, read the damned thing. Don't try to memorize it, just be familiar with the tops covered adn the wide range of information that may be useful to you.

After you have read it begin to organize the information available to you like the book suggests.
as an example it says you should identify all "paramilitary forces" and prepare an "Order of Battle" on them.
Do an OOB on your local police force as an exercise in intelligence gathering. All of the info you want wil be what we call open source, like on the web, the newspaper, etc..
Find out:
How many there are
where they operate from
what their rank structure is (how many of each rank)
what functions do they have (detectives, forensics, a dive team, a swat team, a vice squad, etc.
how they are equipped (not just what they carry for weapons, what other equipment they have, what kind of radio, what frequencies they operate on, how many of what types of vehicles, how many of each, in each area of operation and ow many of what types in each branch)

Spend 1 evening cruising the web and see what you can find.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014 09:21 

Have thanks: 15 time
you know, several years ago when we were involved in Bosnia, i used to listen to short wave broadcasts from Europe and Czechoslovakia . it was interesting to say the least. i also listened to radio free cuba and found some american SW stations that were lower than scum. i guess the point is SW broadcasts could be helpful. and a weather radio would also be helpful...

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]