Integrated Close Combat Forum

A family oriented self defense, preparedness, survival, and basic first-aid forum.
It is currently 25 Jun 2017 03:41

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to ICCF

Due to excessive spam, the administrator must approve all registrants, our apologies for the inconvenience.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Thoughts on "stocking up"...
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 15:52 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 89 time

I see many article and posts suggesting what and how to stockpile food and other necessities. While these are interesting and somewhat helpful, I think folks should put some additional thought into it before accumulating thousands of dollars of consumables.

Not that I am an expert, far from it, but here's a few things I thought of, listed in no particular order...

First off, my list and your list may not necessarily be the same. What good is a gross of canned pork-n-beans if I'm allergic to legumes? Use the expert's list as a start point and adjust it to your personal needs prior to purchasing. Only stock what you normally use.

As well, to do it properly in my estimation, you'll need to rotate stock. That way you'll always have the amount you need for the duration you planned for in case it's ever needed. Therefore you have to like to eat, on a day to day basis, what you are stocking or the stuff will sit on a shelf in your bomb shelter and rot.

I'd say the first thing to do is decide on how many people you're stockpiling for and, maybe, add one to that number just in case.

Next, determine how long are you stockpiling for, a week, a month, a year? Decide now.

Now start planning the menu.

To be continued...

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on "stocking up"...
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 16:32 

Have thanks: 16 time
pork & beans, sardines, viennas, potted meat, crackers and peanut butter. That's what I have in my truck and it keeps me from ever being tempted to go to a fast food place. I also keep all of these things in my house plus spam.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014 16:46 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 10 time
I buy a little extra of the things I regularly use anyway, that way I'm not stuck with stuff that I won't use.
How much to get can be an issue because you run into storage space problems.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014 09:14 

Have thanks: 2 time
Last winter we had some heavy snow and ice on the roads. My driveway slopes up towards the road so I couldn't get my car out. Now I make sure I have enough food and other supplies to last at least a week just in case. My pantry is already filled with items that make for a good emergency stockpile. We have canned proteins (tuna, chicken, and beans), canned fruit and vegetables, rice and pasta, crackers, cereals, juice pouches, bottled water, toilet paper, paper towels, and a variety of medications/first aid supplies.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014 14:10 

Have thanks: 15 time
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014 14:43 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 89 time
Our biggest problem is that we don't do this formally. There's always food in our house but what would be best (for us at least) is to have a pantry to see all the food in one place and therefore be able to make certain we don't fall below our stocked-for-level and to rotate the new with the older supplies.

BTW, when I think of stocking up I don't mean for the Apocalypse, a nuclear war, or total world anarchy. My mind thinks a short-term (several weeks, a month perhaps) incident such as an epidemic, local civil unrest, a natural disaster, and so on.

Very good JGiorno84...you have small children to think of and things get very serious fast when they (or seniors) are in the picture. Additionally, you are essentially in-charge of this in your home so you set the standards...good job.

Contact Us | All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]